a trip to the library

Liverpool Central Library
Liverpool Central Library

Oh the joys of going to the library! I prepared my list of possibilities last night checked the online catalogue and headed out this afternoon on a mission to bring home some treasures. That's what I love about the library, you can go in there and bring out a collection of books completely free of charge, sure you have to bring them back but that's just so you can get more! Sadly I do have a small late fee due to a book that couldn't be renewed online while I was in Egypt - but there's never a demand to pay it!

At my library back home you could check out a maximum of 35 books! And I usually had this many piled on the floor of my room. I was working as a Circulation Attendant at the library so I couldn't help it! I was constantly in the stacks pulling holds for people and finding a few for myself. Or I would be checking in books and decided I wanted to read that book too. While taping new paperbacks or stamping new hardbacks I was lured by the fresh clean pages of each new book. I don't think I ever left a shift without bringing something home! It was great and I miss being surrounded by all those lovely books - and having the time to read them too! Now reading is a huge guilty pleasure especially when I realize I should probably have been reading those stacks of excavation reports or German articles piled up on the bookshelf. Hey I love Egyptology - obviously - don't think I'd be doing a PhD if I didn't - but there's just somethign about escaping between the pages of fiction - I love it!

I can only check out 12 books here! Boo! And although the library here in Liverpool is beautiful (pictured above) I find its collection rather small and lacking. I can't find a lot of books that I've been dying to get my hands on, sometimes they're at other branches but unlike home the library here charges a fee to have books brought from another branch. I really wanted to pick up The People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks before everybody else in the world has read it but they only have 1 copy and it's checked out until the 26th. Bugger! I also wanted to check out The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory (before seeing the movie) and a few books I saw reviewed over at A Work in Progress : The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy, The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman and In the Stacks: Short Stories About Libraries and Librarians edited by Michael Cart (in honor of it being Library Lovers Month) but no, no and no.

I did get :
  • Thank You, Jeeves . P.G. Wodehouse
  • The Voyage Out . Virginia Woolf
  • Slaughterhouse 5 . Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Memory Keeper's Daughter . Kim Edwards (finally - I think I might be the last person to read this one)
  • Cold Comfort Farm . Stella Gibbons
  • A Passage to India . E.M. Forster
  • We . Yevgeny Zamyatin

    So I've got a fair bit of reading to do. Hopefully I can snag that copy of The People of the Book next Tues!

    . listening . si l'on marchait jusqu'a demain . louise attaque . a plus tard crocodile .

    Labels: , ,

    posted by Ashleigh @ 17:22,

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home

  • random field notes


      ashleigh (ash'lė) n.
      1: egyptologist; currently living in the uk attempting to obtain a phd in egyptology, hoping in the end there will be a job.
      2: literary; reading to escape reality, to improve conversation, for inspiration.
      3: crafter; crocheting and needlework, creating heirlooms, keeping the world warm.
      4: dreamer; head in the clouds, full of fantasies, wishing to be someone else, somewhere else.
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from random field notes. Make your own badge here.


    :: reading ::
    : Ivanhoe . Walter Scott
    : Schindler's Ark . Thomas Keneally
    : The Amber Spyglass . Philip Pullman
    : The Red Queen . Margaret Drabble
    : Un Lun Dun . China Miéville
    : A Handful of Dust . Evelyn Waugh
    : Adjunct: An Undigest . Peter Manson
    : A Kestral for a Knave . Barry Hines

    :: recently finished ::
    : Falling Man . Don DeLillo
    : Written on the Body . Jeanette Winterson
    : The Bell Jar . Sylvia Plath
    : No One Writes to the Colonel . Gabriel García Márquez
    : The Subtle Knife . Philip Pullman

    :: book rating ::
    5 : True Love
    4 : Like
    3 : Good
    2 : Ok
    1 : Why did I read this?

    :: challenges ::
    : 1% Well Read
    : 888 Challenge
    : Chunkster Challenge
    : Decades Challenge 2008
    : Novella Challenge
    : Once Upon A Time II
    : The Parisian Underworld
    : The Pub

    :: creating ::
    : sadly nothing at the moment

    :: recent posts ::
    : chunkster challenge
    : book reviews
    : patience is a virtue...
    : the pub
    : this research has led me to the pub
    : recovering with the giants
    : egypt 2008 : pharaoh's curse or pharaoh's gold
    : still sick
    : coming soon (inshallah)
    : warmer sands in ancient lands

    :: labels ::
    : book
    : book review
    : challenge
    : craft
    : egypt
    : life
    : liverpool
    : movie
    : photos
    : quiz/meme
    : random
    : school
    : travel
    : weekly geeks

    :: archives ::
    : 2008
    01 :: 02 :: 03 :: 04 :: 05 :: 06

    :: blogroll ::

    :: bookish
    : 1 more chapter
    : a high and hidden place
    : a striped armchair
    : a work in progress
    : bookie
    : books please
    : eloise by the book pile
    : estella's revenge
    : eve's alexandria
    : the hidden side of a leaf
    : people reading
    : red room library
    : stainless steel droppings

    :: crafty
    : cosmicpluto knits
    : crazy aunt purl
    : how about orange
    : inside a black apple
    : ma petite théière
    : midnight knitter
    : not martha
    : posie gets cosy
    : ranger sarah
    : wild yarn
    : yarnstorm

    :: special
    : idyll thoughts