school woes

I wonder if anyone has ever done a study on what pursuing a research degree does to someone's mental and physical health. I swear this acadamic year has been nothing but up and down - mostly down. Yesterday was another one of those days. I received another email from my soon to be ex-supervisor demanding that we meet immediately and he copied in the department head. I was so frustrated. I ended up sending a rather long email to the school head telling him everything that I've been through since last semester and all the steps I've taken to resolve the situation in order to get a new supervisor. I just said that I needed to know that someone in the department was on my side and that I needed the supervisor change to be made asap. I also emailed the ex-supervisor to say that I'm in the process of getting a switch (a.k.a. bugger off). When I'm stressed my eczema goes nuts, yesterday it began appearing around my lips, eyelids and my arm - it's not very attractive. I met with the school head this morning and was promised that everything would be taken care of within a week and to not think anymore about it. He could tell that this whole situation has been getting me down and he was very sympathetic and wants me now to rise above it and move on. And so I will!

In happier news I was able to snag a copy of People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. It was checked in early and I rushed down to the library and got it before someone else did. It was sitting on the trolly waiting to be reshelved. I was looking for a bluish/black book since that's the cover I've seen but the UK cover is gold and the book was a lot thinner than I thought it would be. I look forward to devouring it this weekend! Lord knows I deserve a good read!

. listening . the first of me . hoobastank . every man for himself .

Labels: ,

posted by Ashleigh @ 15:15,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

random field notes


    ashleigh (ash'lė) n.
    1: egyptologist; currently living in the uk attempting to obtain a phd in egyptology, hoping in the end there will be a job.
    2: literary; reading to escape reality, to improve conversation, for inspiration.
    3: crafter; crocheting and needlework, creating heirlooms, keeping the world warm.
    4: dreamer; head in the clouds, full of fantasies, wishing to be someone else, somewhere else.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from random field notes. Make your own badge here.


:: reading ::
: Ivanhoe . Walter Scott
: Schindler's Ark . Thomas Keneally
: The Amber Spyglass . Philip Pullman
: The Red Queen . Margaret Drabble
: Un Lun Dun . China Miéville
: A Handful of Dust . Evelyn Waugh
: Adjunct: An Undigest . Peter Manson
: A Kestral for a Knave . Barry Hines

:: recently finished ::
: Falling Man . Don DeLillo
: Written on the Body . Jeanette Winterson
: The Bell Jar . Sylvia Plath
: No One Writes to the Colonel . Gabriel García Márquez
: The Subtle Knife . Philip Pullman

:: book rating ::
5 : True Love
4 : Like
3 : Good
2 : Ok
1 : Why did I read this?

:: challenges ::
: 1% Well Read
: 888 Challenge
: Chunkster Challenge
: Decades Challenge 2008
: Novella Challenge
: Once Upon A Time II
: The Parisian Underworld
: The Pub

:: creating ::
: sadly nothing at the moment

:: recent posts ::
: money in my pocket
: the glass books of the dream eaters
: a trip to the library
: chunkster challenge
: book reviews
: patience is a virtue...
: the pub
: this research has led me to the pub
: recovering with the giants
: egypt 2008 : pharaoh's curse or pharaoh's gold

:: labels ::
: book
: book review
: challenge
: craft
: egypt
: life
: liverpool
: movie
: photos
: quiz/meme
: random
: school
: travel
: weekly geeks

:: archives ::
: 2008
01 :: 02 :: 03 :: 04 :: 05 :: 06

:: blogroll ::

:: bookish
: 1 more chapter
: a high and hidden place
: a striped armchair
: a work in progress
: bookie
: books please
: eloise by the book pile
: estella's revenge
: eve's alexandria
: the hidden side of a leaf
: people reading
: red room library
: stainless steel droppings

:: crafty
: cosmicpluto knits
: crazy aunt purl
: how about orange
: inside a black apple
: ma petite théière
: midnight knitter
: not martha
: posie gets cosy
: ranger sarah
: wild yarn
: yarnstorm

:: special
: idyll thoughts