six random things & childhood favorites

I've been tagged by Danielle to share 6 random things about me... hmmm... let's see:

The rules ::
: Link to the person that tagged you
: Post the rules somewhere in your meme
: Write the six random things
: Tag six people in your post
: Let the tagees know they’ve been chosen by leaving a comment on their blog
: Let the tagger know your entry is post

1 : I don't know if I want to be an academic. I want a PhD but the idea of being a professor isn't really appealing. But teaching English literature to high schoolers is... I wish I could be an English teacher and go off to excavate during the summers. Then I could do research on my own terms and meet my own deadlines. Plus it would mean doing two things I love, Egyptology and sharing my love of books. I think this must have something to do with being a Pisces and my fish swimming in opposite directions...

2 : I'm afraid of aliens, more specifically I'm afraid of The Greys. They freak me out to no end! Watching Signs was pure torture!

3 : I'm a wee bit of an obsessive compulsive and am definitely anal. I like to have and do things just so. When I like something, say for example a movie I will watch it over and over and over again.

4 : I'm afraid of being a spinster. I'm extremely picky and am pretty ignorant when it comes to paying attention to signs of interest from the opposite sex. Doesn't help that I'm convinced I must get involved with someone in my field, which is turning out to be nearly impossible as practically every guy in my field is either gay, emotionally unstable or a man whore.

5 : I like gummy worms!

6 : I wish I could be obsessive compulsive when it comes to losing weight, i.e. I wish I could stick to something until I'm where I want to be. I seem to start a program/regime or whatever lose a few lbs and then fall off the wagon and quickly find myself back on square one with some extra luggage. Though one summer I was really good, stuck to Weight Watchers was walking 20+ miles a week and lost 10+ lbs. I need to try that again and drop at least 20 lbs.

Tag You're It!
: A High and Hidden Place
: Everyday Reads
: Ranger Sarah
: Books Please
: Wild Yarn
: A Striped Armchair

Weekly Geek Assignment #003 :: Write about your fond memories of childhood books.

When I was little I was an avid reader (still am). In first grade I was the first student to reach the goal of 100 books and thus my teacher took me to Dairy Queen where I ate my very first and to this day only banana split. It was delicious! Mrs. Abraham and I talked about the books I had read. It was a real treat and I felt uber-special. It's a shame that teachers are unable to treat students like that anymore! I loved taking trips to the library and going through the picture books. This is where I first fell in love with the smell of books.

I can remember being obsessed with collecting and reading all the Babysitters Club books by Ann M. Martin. Sadly I think all of those books are gone now. I really should chase after them. I thought those girls were so cool and when I started babysitting I created my own little kit to take to kids' houses so that there would be fun things to do. I also loved R.L. Stine's Fear Street, those books were super cool and creepy but not overly so. I also loved the American Girl series, especially the stories about Kirsten and Felicity. I remember getting the catalog in the mail for the American Girl dolls and just falling head over heels for them. Those were just the best looking dolls ever and the outfits and all the goodies you could buy were fantastic! After visiting the American Girl store in New York a couple of summers ago, I think I still want one! Ha! Ha! Seriously if you're ever in New York you MUST check this store out. It's several stories tall with a Hair Salon for your dolls and a doll hospital where your doll will be admitted for repairs and will be returned in a hospital gown complete with hospital bracelet and depending on the injury a wheelchair or crutches! Crazy! There's a playhouse on the top floor and a cafe where you can order tea and scones for you doll.

One of my all time favorite books as a child was The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder. My aunt bought it for me and I just loved it to pieces. It's about these kids that find an abandoned yard behind an antique store which they quickly transform into an Egyptian haven. It reminds me so much of my sister and I playing in our backyard pretending to be Egyptians, mummifying barbies and then the next day playing Egyptologists and discovering them. Only the kids in the book were lucky because they happened to find an old replica of the Nefertiti bust in their yard so they were able to set up a proper altar where they could consult the oracles. It such a great book! I've lent it out to my friend Gina who's bringing it to Rhodes. I hope nothing happens to it!

. listening . she is . the fray . how to save a life .

Labels: ,

posted by Ashleigh @ 22:33,

13 Comments:

At 12 May 2008 at 00:33, Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks for the tag! I remember when I was a kid, I would check out a HUGE stack of books from the library and be able to get through them all before they were due. Ah, if only "adult" books were so easy to get through! I always check out WAY too many books, don't finish them, check out more, renew some, and end up with 400 different due dates that I can never keep track of. I'm working on accepting the fact that I will never be able to finish everything, and also that even though I own hundreds of books, most unread, I will STILL check things out of the library.

 
At 12 May 2008 at 01:02, Blogger Eva said...

I did mine, about my mom though. :)

#4 is funny: I have the opposite fear-that I'm going to end up in a less than perfect marriage. I'd much rather be a spinster! I'm really picky too, and since I want an unusual life style (to be in the Foreign Service, where I'd be moving countries ever 2-4 years), I just might end up single. Or with a husband who I only live with half the time...that could work too. Can you tell I like my privacy?! My friends roll their eyes, because whenever I have a boyfriend, I inevitable decide he's too clingy. hehe

 
At 12 May 2008 at 02:02, Blogger Unknown said...

I, too, loved The Egypt Game. One of the best books I read in 5th grade.

 
At 12 May 2008 at 06:40, Blogger BooksPlease said...

Thanks for tagging me. I wish I could be obsessive compulsive when it comes to losing weight too. I stuck to Weightwatchers for over a year and lost weight and it's nearly all back again now - too much time sat at the computer and not enough exercise I think.

No wonder you love Egyptology - what a great story about mummifying your Barbies!

 
At 12 May 2008 at 13:45, Blogger Chrisbookarama said...

I remember The Egypt Game too!

 
At 12 May 2008 at 15:11, Blogger Katherine said...

I too loved The Egypt Game!And I was obsessed with the Babysitter's Club. I have no idea to this day why I was so attracted to those books, though it may have had to do with the fact that those giels were older and had more independence than I did, so i automatically thought they were cooler (for the record, I always compared myself with Mary Ann).

 
At 12 May 2008 at 16:18, Blogger Danielle said...

Thanks for playing along! I'm a Pisces, too, and I think I'm pretty obsessive compulsive, as well, though I don't like to admit it. When I was in first grade we had these long, thin pink pieces of paper where the teacher kept the titles of the books we read listed and we'd get a star for each book. Once we had lots of pages she put them on one of those round metal clip things. I think my mom might still have mine at her house. I'd love to see it now!

 
At 12 May 2008 at 17:34, Blogger Ashleigh said...

Wow lots of Egypt Game lovers out there! I think I liked Kristy best in the Babysitters Club, she liked to be in charge like me. :) Danielle if you ever get a hold of that you must post a photo, that would be so neat! I think we had a chart thing too posted on the classroom wall. I used to race against this other boy named Josh but there was no way he could have outread me!

Eva I think my want/need for someone in my field stems from the fact that I would have to leave them for months at a time to work in Egypt and I just don't think I'm that trustworthy. My luck the jerk would cheat on me! Of course archaeologists can be a hassle because you see there are 3 A's to archaeology : archaeology, alcohol and adultery... hmmm... perhaps I should look into adopting some cats...

 
At 13 May 2008 at 09:26, Blogger BooksPlease said...

I've done mine now - it's
here

 
At 13 May 2008 at 15:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read the books. Reading about them, I might give it a go!

Childhood Memories

 
At 16 May 2008 at 11:54, Blogger Karen said...

I loved reading your random things! I especially liked the first one about not being sure about wanting to be an academic - I've been going through that dilemma myself lately and it's kind of nice to know that others feel that ambiguity.

 
At 17 May 2008 at 08:36, Blogger Lightheaded said...

Hi Ashleigh and thanks for the tag! This is such an enjoyable post to read! I never even thought of mummifying Barbies! Hahaha! At least early on you had a pretty good idea you wanted to become an Egyptologist :)

I so relate to your #4. Then again, I think I'm a spinster already. Hahaha!

 
At 17 May 2008 at 13:38, Blogger Andi said...

Oh God, those greys freak me out, too. The part of Signs where the alien walks across the opening between the two buildings had me peaking around corners for days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

random field notes


    ashleigh (ash'lė) n.
    1: egyptologist; currently living in the uk attempting to obtain a phd in egyptology, hoping in the end there will be a job.
    2: literary; reading to escape reality, to improve conversation, for inspiration.
    3: crafter; crocheting and needlework, creating heirlooms, keeping the world warm.
    4: dreamer; head in the clouds, full of fantasies, wishing to be someone else, somewhere else.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from random field notes. Make your own badge here.


:: reading ::
: Ivanhoe . Walter Scott
: Schindler's Ark . Thomas Keneally
: The Amber Spyglass . Philip Pullman
: The Red Queen . Margaret Drabble
: Un Lun Dun . China Miéville
: A Handful of Dust . Evelyn Waugh
: Adjunct: An Undigest . Peter Manson
: A Kestral for a Knave . Barry Hines

:: recently finished ::
: Falling Man . Don DeLillo
: Written on the Body . Jeanette Winterson
: The Bell Jar . Sylvia Plath
: No One Writes to the Colonel . Gabriel García Márquez
: The Subtle Knife . Philip Pullman

:: book rating ::
5 : True Love
4 : Like
3 : Good
2 : Ok
1 : Why did I read this?

:: challenges ::
: 1% Well Read
: 888 Challenge
: Chunkster Challenge
: Decades Challenge 2008
: Novella Challenge
: Once Upon A Time II
: The Parisian Underworld
: The Pub

:: creating ::
: sadly nothing at the moment

:: recent posts ::
: hmm what to call this
: catch up
: collecting book review links
: 1% well read
: fairy tale friday
: enchant me please
: the miracle at speedy motors
: the uncommon reader
: the outsider
: i'm a geek...

:: labels ::
: book
: book review
: challenge
: craft
: egypt
: life
: liverpool
: movie
: photos
: quiz/meme
: random
: school
: travel
: weekly geeks

:: archives ::
: 2008
01 :: 02 :: 03 :: 04 :: 05 :: 06

:: blogroll ::

:: bookish
: 1 more chapter
: a high and hidden place
: a striped armchair
: a work in progress
: bookie
: books please
: eloise by the book pile
: estella's revenge
: eve's alexandria
: the hidden side of a leaf
: people reading
: red room library
: stainless steel droppings

:: crafty
: cosmicpluto knits
: crazy aunt purl
: how about orange
: inside a black apple
: ma petite théière
: midnight knitter
: not martha
: posie gets cosy
: ranger sarah
: wild yarn
: yarnstorm

:: special
: idyll thoughts