i'm a geek...

... a Weekly Geek! Instead of another book challenge, this is a blog challenge! Every week a new theme will be concocted, such as "redecorate your blog" or "organize your challenges" or "catch up on your library books". Although Weekly Geeks is centered around biblio-blogs, anyone can join in. And as an added bonus you don't have to participate every week only when you feel like it. To learn more and/or to sign up go here.

This week's challenge: meet your fellow Weekly Geeks by visiting the blogs of at least 5 members and leave a comment. These should be blogs you've never really visited before. These are the blogs I visited:

: everyday reads : Love the orange theme of the blog and absolutely love the fish graphic used in the heading!
: Karen's Book Nook : She's currently reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire after having seen the musical. I read the book when it first came out and really enjoyed it. I've been wanting to see the musical since it first debuted (I even know all the songs by heart). Hopefully if I can make it down to London before we leave for Rhodes I'll finally be able to see it!
: So Many Books, So Little Time : A fellow book challenge-aholic! Will definitely be checking out their book reviews!
: Table Talk : I liked their post on changing the endings of books. I learned that Jeanette Winterson's mother used to change the ending of Jane Eyre when she read it aloud because she didn't like the original. I suggested that they should read Winterson's Sexing the Cherry where she includes an alternate ending for the tale of the 12 Dancing Princesses.
: That's the Book! : They're reading The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers - I loved that book! It's definitely on my list to reread.

Woo! I finished Les Misérables late last night! It was... epic. I have to say it really pulled my emotions back and forth. I'm so glad I decided to join Danielle in reading it. Proper review coming soon, to be posted here and on the Into the Parisian Underworld read-along blog. It's not too late to join, there's no deadline for reading the book, we only ask that if you join you agree to read the unabridged version. Now what massive book should I read next? I've been eyeballing Samuel Richardson's Clarissa in the library... but that will have to wait until I get back from my trip.

Well I'm off to tuck into Forster's A Room With a View. Ciao!

. listening . little star . stina nordenstam . romeo + juliet .

Labels: ,

posted by Ashleigh @ 13:16,

7 Comments:

At 27 April 2008 at 15:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashleigh, I'm returning your visit. Where are you studying? I've just retired from the University life, so I'm always interested to know where people are. Enjoy 'Room with a View'. I'm just about to start 'Where Angels Fear To Tread'.

 
At 27 April 2008 at 18:22, Blogger Lightheaded said...

Thank you again Ashleigh for visiting my blog and featuring it here. It's not everyday that I get an Egyptologist perusing my virtual space for books :)

This is a lovely, lovely blog. I've scanned your thoughts on Saturday and The Plot Against America (both books are on my book uh, mountain) and it's interesting to read your take on them.

Hope you enjoy reading A Room With A View. It's a favorite of mine.

 
At 28 April 2008 at 15:50, Blogger Sarah said...

Congrats on finishing Les Miserables! That's dedication... I have book ADD so I know it is going to take me a year once I finally start it. I read about 300 pages of Clarissa for a college English class, and I remember it being absolute torture at the time. But, a 2,000 page book is always worse when you are also trying to do 4 other classes.

PS - I took an awesome class in grad school called "Egyptomania" about the influence of Egyptian art on the art of later cultures. Mostly we just made fun of Zahi Hawass and his hat (that you can buy replicas of!)

 
At 28 April 2008 at 16:17, Blogger Heather said...

I like this Weekly Geek idea. I'm going to have to check that out. And these blogs you listed here as well!

 
At 28 April 2008 at 17:36, Blogger Danielle said...

Yay--You finished LM! I'm looking forward to hearing what you thought! I want to read Clarissa eventually, too! I think that's actually longer than the Hugo even.

 
At 29 April 2008 at 01:42, Blogger Ashleigh said...

Table Talk : I'm studying Egyptology, you can read more about that in my about me section. I read Where Angels Fear to Tread earlier this year I really enjoyed it so I hope you do too!

Lightheaded : Thanks for the compliments! I look forward to reading more on your blog. :)

Sarah G : Good luck with Les Mis, you can do it! Pace yourself if you have to. Yes Clarissa's going to be a big read, I think I'm attracted to the monstrosity of it. Many an Egyptologist has had to retire their hat because of that man... ha! ha!

Heather : Definitely join in the fun! You don't have to participate every week so that's a big plus!

Danielle : The copy of Clarissa I've been eyeballing is about 1500+ pages but this isn't the size of a mass market paperback. The book is huge about 9 inches tall, so it definitely beats out Les Mis.

 
At 2 May 2008 at 07:54, Blogger Eva said...

You're ahead of me-I was around half way through when it ran away!! Very frustrating. I finally found it after two weeks yesterday, so hopefully I'll get back on track. Can't wait to read your thoughts on it. :) I need to write up my impressions of Cosette's section.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

random field notes


    ashleigh (ash'lė) n.
    1: egyptologist; currently living in the uk attempting to obtain a phd in egyptology, hoping in the end there will be a job.
    2: literary; reading to escape reality, to improve conversation, for inspiration.
    3: crafter; crocheting and needlework, creating heirlooms, keeping the world warm.
    4: dreamer; head in the clouds, full of fantasies, wishing to be someone else, somewhere else.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from random field notes. Make your own badge here.


:: reading ::
: Ivanhoe . Walter Scott
: Schindler's Ark . Thomas Keneally
: The Amber Spyglass . Philip Pullman
: The Red Queen . Margaret Drabble
: Un Lun Dun . China Miéville
: A Handful of Dust . Evelyn Waugh
: Adjunct: An Undigest . Peter Manson
: A Kestral for a Knave . Barry Hines

:: recently finished ::
: Falling Man . Don DeLillo
: Written on the Body . Jeanette Winterson
: The Bell Jar . Sylvia Plath
: No One Writes to the Colonel . Gabriel García Márquez
: The Subtle Knife . Philip Pullman

:: book rating ::
5 : True Love
4 : Like
3 : Good
2 : Ok
1 : Why did I read this?

:: challenges ::
: 1% Well Read
: 888 Challenge
: Chunkster Challenge
: Decades Challenge 2008
: Novella Challenge
: Once Upon A Time II
: The Parisian Underworld
: The Pub

:: creating ::
: sadly nothing at the moment

:: recent posts ::
: paper faces on parade
: lost in 4:24
: a literary conversation
: what to read on an island
: the plot against america
: saturday
: monday blehs, inspiring craftiness and new books
: peeps party
: my little book soapbox
: a wednesday book haul

:: labels ::
: book
: book review
: challenge
: craft
: egypt
: life
: liverpool
: movie
: photos
: quiz/meme
: random
: school
: travel
: weekly geeks

:: archives ::
: 2008
01 :: 02 :: 03 :: 04 :: 05 :: 06

:: blogroll ::

:: bookish
: 1 more chapter
: a high and hidden place
: a striped armchair
: a work in progress
: bookie
: books please
: eloise by the book pile
: estella's revenge
: eve's alexandria
: the hidden side of a leaf
: people reading
: red room library
: stainless steel droppings

:: crafty
: cosmicpluto knits
: crazy aunt purl
: how about orange
: inside a black apple
: ma petite théière
: midnight knitter
: not martha
: posie gets cosy
: ranger sarah
: wild yarn
: yarnstorm

:: special
: idyll thoughts