bon voyage

Oh gosh I had planned to get some reviews out and time just flew away! You know how it is a few days before you leave anywhere, chaos! So much to do! I'm off to London in the morning and then flying to Rhodes tomorrow night. I won't be back in the 'Pool until June 5th. I'm sure I'll be able to track down a wireless signal somewhere on the island so I'll try to check in and depending on the signal and the speed of connection I may load a few photos. But just in case I don't pop in I hope everyone enjoys the rest of May and is prepared for a fantastic summer!

Oh and in case you're curious, I'm going to Rhodes for the Xth International Congress of Egyptologists - over 300+ speakers will be giving lectures from May 22-29. I'm going a week early and staying a week after in order to have a nice holiday. I may go island hopping or I might just pop a squat on the beach and read until I'm nice and crispy.

I was at a BBQ over the weekend to welcome 2 new Drs of Egyptology to the world. It was great! Although typical to an English BBQ we ended up inside when a thunderstorm hit (yes people real thunder and even some scary lightning! - but NOTHING compared to what we get in AZ). Below is a picture of a wee little man I found hanging out in my friend's garden. Apparently he was there when they moved in and so they just left him there. Seems like he's been there for awhile since his pants have nearly disintegrated! Ha! Ha! He's really roughin' it! Love the beard!

Ciao!

I Need New Pants!

. listening . la camisa negra . juanes . mi sangre .

Labels: ,

posted by Ashleigh @ 22:41,

5 Comments:

At 13 May 2008 at 23:18, Blogger Sarah said...

Have fun! I wish I could go on a 3-week vacation! That little guy is so random... I particularly like the fashionable sweater he's wearing.

 
At 14 May 2008 at 19:52, Blogger Danielle said...

Have a great time! Sounds like fun, so please share photos when you can.

 
At 17 May 2008 at 19:25, Blogger Michelle Moran said...

Hi Ashleigh!

I found your site through your post on "A Work in Progress," and I'm really enjoying it! I was an English teacher for six years, and I did do digs in the summer in Israel, France and Greece. I had volunteer status. I am working on my Ph.D in history, but since you will have a Ph.D in Egyptology, I'm sure you could do more than just simple volunteer work. And being a teacher leaves you time to read and write on the side, since that seems to be a passion of yours as well.

How wonderful to have found your blog! And have a fantastic time in Rhodes! I'll be there two weeks after you with the Archaeological Institute of America. I WISH I could be at the Xth International Congress if Egyptologists! I bet it's going to be huge fun.

 
At 17 May 2008 at 20:42, Blogger Andi said...

Have a wonderful time! And I always love finding a nearly pantsless man in the garden!

 
At 18 May 2008 at 07:59, Blogger BooksPlease said...

Have a great time - it'll be a bit hotter there than in Liverpool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

random field notes


    ashleigh (ash'lė) n.
    1: egyptologist; currently living in the uk attempting to obtain a phd in egyptology, hoping in the end there will be a job.
    2: literary; reading to escape reality, to improve conversation, for inspiration.
    3: crafter; crocheting and needlework, creating heirlooms, keeping the world warm.
    4: dreamer; head in the clouds, full of fantasies, wishing to be someone else, somewhere else.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from random field notes. Make your own badge here.


:: reading ::
: Ivanhoe . Walter Scott
: Schindler's Ark . Thomas Keneally
: The Amber Spyglass . Philip Pullman
: The Red Queen . Margaret Drabble
: Un Lun Dun . China Miéville
: A Handful of Dust . Evelyn Waugh
: Adjunct: An Undigest . Peter Manson
: A Kestral for a Knave . Barry Hines

:: recently finished ::
: Falling Man . Don DeLillo
: Written on the Body . Jeanette Winterson
: The Bell Jar . Sylvia Plath
: No One Writes to the Colonel . Gabriel García Márquez
: The Subtle Knife . Philip Pullman

:: book rating ::
5 : True Love
4 : Like
3 : Good
2 : Ok
1 : Why did I read this?

:: challenges ::
: 1% Well Read
: 888 Challenge
: Chunkster Challenge
: Decades Challenge 2008
: Novella Challenge
: Once Upon A Time II
: The Parisian Underworld
: The Pub

:: creating ::
: sadly nothing at the moment

:: recent posts ::
: six random things & childhood favorites
: hmm what to call this
: catch up
: collecting book review links
: 1% well read
: fairy tale friday
: enchant me please
: the miracle at speedy motors
: the uncommon reader
: the outsider

:: labels ::
: book
: book review
: challenge
: craft
: egypt
: life
: liverpool
: movie
: photos
: quiz/meme
: random
: school
: travel
: weekly geeks

:: archives ::
: 2008
01 :: 02 :: 03 :: 04 :: 05 :: 06

:: blogroll ::

:: bookish
: 1 more chapter
: a high and hidden place
: a striped armchair
: a work in progress
: bookie
: books please
: eloise by the book pile
: estella's revenge
: eve's alexandria
: the hidden side of a leaf
: people reading
: red room library
: stainless steel droppings

:: crafty
: cosmicpluto knits
: crazy aunt purl
: how about orange
: inside a black apple
: ma petite théière
: midnight knitter
: not martha
: posie gets cosy
: ranger sarah
: wild yarn
: yarnstorm

:: special
: idyll thoughts