monday blehs, inspiring craftiness and new books

*warning - a bit of a whine, scroll down till you see 'Wow!' to read the fun bit*

It's just been one of those Mondays... productivity was at an all-time low, the intention was there but I was seriously lacking the ooomph. Maybe it's because I felt my weekend was stolen from me, it went by way too fast. But really I haven't wanted to do anything work-wise for a long time. I poke at my books, flip through the pages, jot a note here or there but really I'm just a lazy ass - major sloth action going on up in here! I've decided to check out of Liverpool at the end of July (what a great time of year to return to Phoenix...), which makes me realize that I have about 14 weeks left, deduct 4 weeks for London/Rhodes action and that leaves me with very little time to get stuff done. But what is it that I'm meant to be doing? I don't even know anymore!! I'm so confused!!

The only thing I do know is that I've been spending probably way too much time between the sheets (of books that is!). But I can't help it, I love reading (fiction), I have an obsessive nature and right now reading is the only thing I feel I'm good at.

I need inspiration and this certainly is not the environment for that. I just feel like I'm in a cesspool of disappointment and false hope. Why couldn't I make it work here? I know I said I didn't believe it before but I lied, I do feel like I failed. I shouldn't feel that way though because it isn't really the truth, it just feels that way. Arizona is going to be a much better situation (inshallah!). I guess I'm just jealous of everyone who's able to continue on their merry little way and produce fabulous work.

It's too bad we're not working in Egypt this summer, I sure do need to get out into the field. I love it there, and I'm happy working in the dirt, finding and learning things.

I don't think the school thing would bother me as much if everything else in my life was great, but really everything is miserable... but I won't go into that. Like my profile to the right says, I'm a dreamer always wishing to be someone else, somewhere else. I wonder if I'll ever find myself in a happy spot in a happy frame of mind...

Wow! That was depressing...

Anyway... here's some cool things I've come across recently on the web:

:: First spotted on Carl's blog, I fell in love with the talented artwork of Anne-Julie (blog : Ma Petite Théière). It's so sweet, soft and colorful and full of emotion. Definitely will be making some purchases at her shop: Anne-Julie's Garden when I've got a job. Her blog is in French (good practice for me) but if you scroll down she includes an English translation for each post.

:: Over at Du Buh Du Designs (blog) (store) you can find charming unique dolls. I want one!

:: Emily at Inside a Black Apple whips up fun little plush dolls and is also a very talented artist. I want a doll, some prints and definitely some note cards! You can buy some too at her shop: The Black Apple. She also has great style, something I wish I could achieve (yes I hate the way I dress too...). Check out her awesome duds on her fashion blog Some Girls Wander.

All this crafty goodness has given me a major itch to do some crafting myself! But that will all have to wait until I can get back to my craft boxes I left at home.

Picked up some new books at the library today (quick short reads):
: The Postman Always Rings Twice . James M. Cain
: A Room With a View . E.M. Forster
: The Thirty-Nine Steps . John Buchan
: The Lonely Londoners . Sam Selvon

Hope everyone else has/had a better Monday! I feel a bit better, think I'll grab myself a cheeseburger & chips I mean salad... forget it I'm eating the cheeseburger & chips and I'm watching Marie Antoinette, there's a masquerade ball scene and I'm so looking forward to Thursday night's ball. Cheers!

. listening . better that we break . maroon 5 . it won't be soon before long .

Labels: , ,

posted by Ashleigh @ 18:17,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

random field notes


    ashleigh (ash'lė) n.
    1: egyptologist; currently living in the uk attempting to obtain a phd in egyptology, hoping in the end there will be a job.
    2: literary; reading to escape reality, to improve conversation, for inspiration.
    3: crafter; crocheting and needlework, creating heirlooms, keeping the world warm.
    4: dreamer; head in the clouds, full of fantasies, wishing to be someone else, somewhere else.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from random field notes. Make your own badge here.


:: reading ::
: Ivanhoe . Walter Scott
: Schindler's Ark . Thomas Keneally
: The Amber Spyglass . Philip Pullman
: The Red Queen . Margaret Drabble
: Un Lun Dun . China Miéville
: A Handful of Dust . Evelyn Waugh
: Adjunct: An Undigest . Peter Manson
: A Kestral for a Knave . Barry Hines

:: recently finished ::
: Falling Man . Don DeLillo
: Written on the Body . Jeanette Winterson
: The Bell Jar . Sylvia Plath
: No One Writes to the Colonel . Gabriel García Márquez
: The Subtle Knife . Philip Pullman

:: book rating ::
5 : True Love
4 : Like
3 : Good
2 : Ok
1 : Why did I read this?

:: challenges ::
: 1% Well Read
: 888 Challenge
: Chunkster Challenge
: Decades Challenge 2008
: Novella Challenge
: Once Upon A Time II
: The Parisian Underworld
: The Pub

:: creating ::
: sadly nothing at the moment

:: recent posts ::
: peeps party
: my little book soapbox
: a wednesday book haul
: the female quixote
: the first century after beatrice
: the voyage out
: miss pettigrew lives for a day
: there's no place like home
: catching up
: the prime of miss jean brodie

:: labels ::
: book
: book review
: challenge
: craft
: egypt
: life
: liverpool
: movie
: photos
: quiz/meme
: random
: school
: travel
: weekly geeks

:: archives ::
: 2008
01 :: 02 :: 03 :: 04 :: 05 :: 06

:: blogroll ::

:: bookish
: 1 more chapter
: a high and hidden place
: a striped armchair
: a work in progress
: bookie
: books please
: eloise by the book pile
: estella's revenge
: eve's alexandria
: the hidden side of a leaf
: people reading
: red room library
: stainless steel droppings

:: crafty
: cosmicpluto knits
: crazy aunt purl
: how about orange
: inside a black apple
: ma petite théière
: midnight knitter
: not martha
: posie gets cosy
: ranger sarah
: wild yarn
: yarnstorm

:: special
: idyll thoughts