a wednesday book haul

Yay 4 more reviews completed (Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, The Voyage Out, The First Century After Beatrice and The Female Quixote) and I picked up 4 new books today!

Two of my reserves came in. The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett - a fictional tale of a travelling library's weekly visits to the palace and the Queen's passion for reading. Tiny little book, should be cute! And The Miracle at Speedy Motors by Alexander McCall Smith, the 9th in the Ladies' Detective series. I'm looking forward to that one, I was starting to miss Mma Ramotswe and her wily adventures.

When I first arrived at the library today I was distracted by the Orange Broadband Prize for Fiction display of shiny new clean books. Hadn't planned on checking anything out that wasn't on some list of mine, but I decided to give The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani a try. Also a very helpful librarian helped me locate a copy of The Princesse de Clèves by Madame de Lafayette. I've been looking for it for awhile now but couldn't figure out if it was shelved under de, la, la fayette or lafayette - it wasn't in any of those locations and yet it said it was checked in. Anyway we located a copy upstairs in the call numbers and she checked it out to me even though I was over my limit of 12 books! Score!

Lots and lots of reading planned this weekend. I have 3 books due on Monday and I'd like to get through some of the shorter ones I brought home last week. Plus have to get to pg 1200 of Les Misérables - wow almost done! Should finish next weekend. Hmmm... that reminds me that I had better get on top of those reviews too...

. listening . quasimodo . lifehouse . no name face .

Labels:

posted by Ashleigh @ 16:55,

3 Comments:

At 17 April 2008 at 00:50, Blogger Danielle said...

I think you read faster than anyone I know! :) I'd like to read The Blood of Flowers--two of my coworkers read it and liked it. When I was at the bookstore yesterday they have Alexander McCall Smith's books buy two get one free. I contemplated it, but was trying not to impulse buy for once. I'm working my way through the battle of Waterloo at the moment in LM. It's interesting, but sort of long. I'm wondering how it is going to fit into the story. I think I'll be glad to get back to Cosette and Jean Valjean, though! And I'm curious about The Princesse of Cleves--I've looked at it, but not yet read it.

 
At 17 April 2008 at 01:04, Blogger Ashleigh said...

What can I say I have an obsessive nature and I'm obsessed with reading, there have been years where I felt I hardly read anything because other things stole my attention. I'm sure that will happen again when it comes time for the big PhD write up.

The Waterloo section starts to feel like an aria until the very very last little bit. Hang in there! I feel like Hugo used this novel as an opportunity to teach history and to express his ideas on religion, there's another section in the immediate future where he goes on and on about convents and religion in general. I think a few years ago he may have lost me, but it's really not so bad.

 
At 17 April 2008 at 14:22, Blogger Danielle said...

I think it's great that you can read so much right now. I think I am obsessive about books, too, and when I tell people how many I read last year (which in comparison to others is not much, but for a nonreader must sound like a massive amount) they look at me strangely. I think that's why I have so many started at once, but lately I seem only able to read in snippets and am not making as much progress as I wish. If circumstances allowed I'd read all evening and whenever else I could fit it in! There are years, though, that I've not read much either and been busy with other hobbies, so I know how that reading fluctuation goes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

random field notes


    ashleigh (ash'lė) n.
    1: egyptologist; currently living in the uk attempting to obtain a phd in egyptology, hoping in the end there will be a job.
    2: literary; reading to escape reality, to improve conversation, for inspiration.
    3: crafter; crocheting and needlework, creating heirlooms, keeping the world warm.
    4: dreamer; head in the clouds, full of fantasies, wishing to be someone else, somewhere else.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from random field notes. Make your own badge here.


:: reading ::
: Ivanhoe . Walter Scott
: Schindler's Ark . Thomas Keneally
: The Amber Spyglass . Philip Pullman
: The Red Queen . Margaret Drabble
: Un Lun Dun . China Miéville
: A Handful of Dust . Evelyn Waugh
: Adjunct: An Undigest . Peter Manson
: A Kestral for a Knave . Barry Hines

:: recently finished ::
: Falling Man . Don DeLillo
: Written on the Body . Jeanette Winterson
: The Bell Jar . Sylvia Plath
: No One Writes to the Colonel . Gabriel García Márquez
: The Subtle Knife . Philip Pullman

:: book rating ::
5 : True Love
4 : Like
3 : Good
2 : Ok
1 : Why did I read this?

:: challenges ::
: 1% Well Read
: 888 Challenge
: Chunkster Challenge
: Decades Challenge 2008
: Novella Challenge
: Once Upon A Time II
: The Parisian Underworld
: The Pub

:: creating ::
: sadly nothing at the moment

:: recent posts ::
: the female quixote
: the first century after beatrice
: the voyage out
: miss pettigrew lives for a day
: there's no place like home
: catching up
: the prime of miss jean brodie
: the yellow wallpaper
: the diary of a nobody
: the ladies of grace adieu

:: labels ::
: book
: book review
: challenge
: craft
: egypt
: life
: liverpool
: movie
: photos
: quiz/meme
: random
: school
: travel
: weekly geeks

:: archives ::
: 2008
01 :: 02 :: 03 :: 04 :: 05 :: 06

:: blogroll ::

:: bookish
: 1 more chapter
: a high and hidden place
: a striped armchair
: a work in progress
: bookie
: books please
: eloise by the book pile
: estella's revenge
: eve's alexandria
: the hidden side of a leaf
: people reading
: red room library
: stainless steel droppings

:: crafty
: cosmicpluto knits
: crazy aunt purl
: how about orange
: inside a black apple
: ma petite théière
: midnight knitter
: not martha
: posie gets cosy
: ranger sarah
: wild yarn
: yarnstorm

:: special
: idyll thoughts