weekend reading

Oi! yesterday was a terrible rainy, windy day. There's no point in going outside when it's like that. Somehow I made it down to the library but I was sorry I did. My umbrella blew inside out or knocked me upside the head a gazillion times. By the time I got home I felt like a wet drowned rat. Today however, is nice and sunny but still blow you over windy so I think I'll stay inside today and catch up on some reading.

My friend was telling me about this amazing book, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly written by Jean-Dominique Bauby. Quoting from the back of the book: "On December 9, 1995 Jean-Dominque Bauby suffered a massive stroke, locking his mind in the prison of his body. He then produced a work so unusual, moving and beautiful that it was published, read and admired around the world. With grace and economy, it describes his life before and after the stroke, his continuing imaginative freedom, and how he comes to terms with what has happened. It is a book that illuminates the very business of being alive." After Bauby's stroke he suffered from what is known as Locked-In Syndrome. As a result he is only left with the ability to move his left eyelid. By flickering his one eyelid and the help of a nurse Bauby was able to write his book. That alone sounds remarkable but apparently the book in itself is more so. Bauby unfortunately passed away in 1997 2 days after his book was published but he was at least able to witness it's popularity with 25,000 copies sold in the first day, 150,000 by the end of the week. Bauby's book was recently made into a film and was nominated for 4 Academy Awards. My friend and I talked about going to see it but before I do he lent me his copy so I could read it first. I'd like to eventually get a copy of the book in its original French Le Scaphandre et le Papillion and give it a try.

I also hope to finish, Slaughterhouse 5, The Voyage Out and Thank You, Jeeves and I'm going to try to catch up on my book reviews.

Changed the look of the blog, was trying to go for more of a spring look. Even though spring doesn't technically start until the 20th I always thought of March 1st as spring, it certainly feels like it when you grow up in Phoenix. Unfortunately it still feels a bit like winter here in Liverpool. But the daffodils are blooming so I have hope that warmer temps will be on their way. The headline picture was taken in Monet's Garden at Giverny, France. It was an absolutely gorgeous garden! My mom and I were there in September 2005 and everything was blooming and just breathtaking. You could easily see Monet's paintings come to life right in front of you.

74 days till I'm on the island!

. listening . lucky . hoobastank . the reason .

Labels:

posted by Ashleigh @ 13:46,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

random field notes


    ashleigh (ash'lė) n.
    1: egyptologist; currently living in the uk attempting to obtain a phd in egyptology, hoping in the end there will be a job.
    2: literary; reading to escape reality, to improve conversation, for inspiration.
    3: crafter; crocheting and needlework, creating heirlooms, keeping the world warm.
    4: dreamer; head in the clouds, full of fantasies, wishing to be someone else, somewhere else.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from random field notes. Make your own badge here.


:: reading ::
: Ivanhoe . Walter Scott
: Schindler's Ark . Thomas Keneally
: The Amber Spyglass . Philip Pullman
: The Red Queen . Margaret Drabble
: Un Lun Dun . China Miéville
: A Handful of Dust . Evelyn Waugh
: Adjunct: An Undigest . Peter Manson
: A Kestral for a Knave . Barry Hines

:: recently finished ::
: Falling Man . Don DeLillo
: Written on the Body . Jeanette Winterson
: The Bell Jar . Sylvia Plath
: No One Writes to the Colonel . Gabriel García Márquez
: The Subtle Knife . Philip Pullman

:: book rating ::
5 : True Love
4 : Like
3 : Good
2 : Ok
1 : Why did I read this?

:: challenges ::
: 1% Well Read
: 888 Challenge
: Chunkster Challenge
: Decades Challenge 2008
: Novella Challenge
: Once Upon A Time II
: The Parisian Underworld
: The Pub

:: creating ::
: sadly nothing at the moment

:: recent posts ::
: silas marner
: giovanni's room
: shake awake
: i'm going to the island
: why oh why won't you go away
: where angels fear to tread
: lolita
: hungry for books
: the dark volume
: school woes

:: labels ::
: book
: book review
: challenge
: craft
: egypt
: life
: liverpool
: movie
: photos
: quiz/meme
: random
: school
: travel
: weekly geeks

:: archives ::
: 2008
01 :: 02 :: 03 :: 04 :: 05 :: 06

:: blogroll ::

:: bookish
: 1 more chapter
: a high and hidden place
: a striped armchair
: a work in progress
: bookie
: books please
: eloise by the book pile
: estella's revenge
: eve's alexandria
: the hidden side of a leaf
: people reading
: red room library
: stainless steel droppings

:: crafty
: cosmicpluto knits
: crazy aunt purl
: how about orange
: inside a black apple
: ma petite théière
: midnight knitter
: not martha
: posie gets cosy
: ranger sarah
: wild yarn
: yarnstorm

:: special
: idyll thoughts