missing arizona

Palo Verde Blooms & Blue Sky
Palo Verde in Bloom

The more I contemplate returning home the more I realize I really miss it. Just look at that blue sky, the sunshine, the beautiful blossoming trees. Now I know I'll miss Liverpool too, part of the reason I returned was because I did so much. But the love of a place is not always the right reason to stay in that place. And it's becoming more and more obvious that being in Liverpool and so close to the rest of the world weighed heavily on my choice in coming here. I know I'm seriously homesick right now. And I'm super jealous of the 80+ temps versus the 40 degree windy, rainy, sunless weather here. I've definitely got a bout of SADD. I had planned on going home for spring break since we get 3 weeks here because UK school systems have terms instead of semesters but I just couldn't afford to do it. I'm living on a US loan and with the exchange rate I'm not given much after they take my tuition and room and board. *sigh*

Palo Verde Blooms
Close up of Palo Verde in bloom.

Desert in Bloom
Fishhook Cactus in bloom

And I miss the giraffes at the zoo even if I haven't seen them in over a year. I've just been going through old pictures and stumbled upon these and was remembering what a great day that was. It was New Years Day last year and we managed to get there when the giraffes were being fed. I've never seen them so close before. They're very majestic and unusual looking creatures. I'm reminded of a book I read back in 2006 called Giraffe by J.M. Ledgard - holy cow that book was a tear jerker and left me feeling really sad but please don't let that deter you it was a beautiful book. I just can't believe the cruelty that exists in this world. At least there is a zoo here, in Chester. In fact after my naughty little obsession of watching Home and Away at 6 pm a show called Zoo Days comes on and it's all about life at Chester Zoo. It looks really nice and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Luckily I know someone with a car so hopefully I can manage a trip out there soon.

Giraffes @ Phoenix Zoo 1
Giraffes at the Phoenix Zoo - I love the one in the front sticking out his tongue!

Giraffes @ Phoenix Zoo 2
Giraffes at the Phoenix Zoo - this poor guy finally managed to get a bit of food and the rest of them followed him around everywhere trying to steal it. Ha!

I finished reading Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons this morning. That really was a wonderful book - it was really a combination of P.G. Wodehouse, Evelyn Waugh and Jane Austen. I loved it! Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen was also excellent but again a sad story about animals. I'm really going to try to catch up on my book reviews this next week since I'm "off". Hope everyone has a great Friday!

. listening . don't . jewel . pieces of you .

Labels: , ,

posted by Ashleigh @ 23:57,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

random field notes


    ashleigh (ash'lė) n.
    1: egyptologist; currently living in the uk attempting to obtain a phd in egyptology, hoping in the end there will be a job.
    2: literary; reading to escape reality, to improve conversation, for inspiration.
    3: crafter; crocheting and needlework, creating heirlooms, keeping the world warm.
    4: dreamer; head in the clouds, full of fantasies, wishing to be someone else, somewhere else.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from random field notes. Make your own badge here.


:: reading ::
: Ivanhoe . Walter Scott
: Schindler's Ark . Thomas Keneally
: The Amber Spyglass . Philip Pullman
: The Red Queen . Margaret Drabble
: Un Lun Dun . China Miéville
: A Handful of Dust . Evelyn Waugh
: Adjunct: An Undigest . Peter Manson
: A Kestral for a Knave . Barry Hines

:: recently finished ::
: Falling Man . Don DeLillo
: Written on the Body . Jeanette Winterson
: The Bell Jar . Sylvia Plath
: No One Writes to the Colonel . Gabriel García Márquez
: The Subtle Knife . Philip Pullman

:: book rating ::
5 : True Love
4 : Like
3 : Good
2 : Ok
1 : Why did I read this?

:: challenges ::
: 1% Well Read
: 888 Challenge
: Chunkster Challenge
: Decades Challenge 2008
: Novella Challenge
: Once Upon A Time II
: The Parisian Underworld
: The Pub

:: creating ::
: sadly nothing at the moment

:: recent posts ::
: in which she makes a tough decision...
: the bells
: a tale of two cities
: happy birthday to me
: the yacoubian building
: people of the book
: penelope
: we
: wide sargasso sea
: imposture

:: labels ::
: book
: book review
: challenge
: craft
: egypt
: life
: liverpool
: movie
: photos
: quiz/meme
: random
: school
: travel
: weekly geeks

:: archives ::
: 2008
01 :: 02 :: 03 :: 04 :: 05 :: 06

:: blogroll ::

:: bookish
: 1 more chapter
: a high and hidden place
: a striped armchair
: a work in progress
: bookie
: books please
: eloise by the book pile
: estella's revenge
: eve's alexandria
: the hidden side of a leaf
: people reading
: red room library
: stainless steel droppings

:: crafty
: cosmicpluto knits
: crazy aunt purl
: how about orange
: inside a black apple
: ma petite théière
: midnight knitter
: not martha
: posie gets cosy
: ranger sarah
: wild yarn
: yarnstorm

:: special
: idyll thoughts