happy birthday to me

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! Pictured to the left is a fantastic cake or cakes rather created by the brilliant Colette Peters. If I could this would be the cake I would use to celebrate the day! As it is there's been no cake and seeing how it's going on 10 pm don't think there will be. This has been an interesting birthday. Frankly I'd have to say it's been the worse! I still feel like crap and have major sinus pain in my cheeks, my eyeballs feel like they're going to fall out along with my teeth. Got another doc appt in the morning so hopefully they'll get me some more antibodies. It's been 5 weeks since the last batch so here's hoping they oblige...

Beyond that today was very stressful because I met with with the dept head, potential new supervisor and acting secondary supervisor to discuss my concerns. I was so nervous and it really felt like an inquisition! The meeting lasted about an hour then they asked me to wait outside while they convened. Agghhhh! This was happening just like the bad dream I had the other night where they asked me to wait outside and when I was called back in they told me "We no longer want you here... anymore." I waited out in the hall for 20 min - but it felt like forever and then they called me back in. The good news is, it looks like I'll be getting my supervisor changed after some shiftings been done. The bad news is they feel that my research topic is not big enough for a PhD that it's a proposal for an MPhil! Hmmmm... I think this is due to a couple of reasons: 1) I haven't really been giving the kind of supervision I need, basically I really haven't had any direction. 2) Being that I was nervous I wasn't really able to explain myself fully. I did focus maybe a bit too much on the data I want to use from the excavation I work on and I can see how that could be viewed as not broad enough for a PhD. But I have another meeting next Tuesday with just the two new supervisors to try to work that out. Hopefully I'm getting on the right track.

My weekend plans of running down to London to sightsee, finally see Wicked after 4 years of longing to (I know all the songs!) and checking out the Tutankhamun exhibit have been postponed. *sigh* The friend's house we were going to stay out is actually unavailable she misunderstood and thought we were coming in April - so that's when we'll be going. Oh well something to look forward to and save for. Instead tomorrow afternoon I'm going to see the movie The Diving Bell and the Butterfly based on the book of the same title I just read over the weekend (review coming soon). Saturday I'm reading my heart out, going dancing later that night, and reading all day Sunday.

I did get goodies, gifts, cards and picked up my free birthday gift from The Body Shop. Over the last week I've been receiving birthday coupons in my email, free ice cream at Coldstone Creamery (damnit there isn't one here!!!), 25% off at Borders (they are here but far away and I don't think they do the rewards program), free goodie at Origins (also not here... well not in Liverpool anyway). Darn, darn, darn! Oh well! Here's hoping the weekend is better!

. listening . earthquake . the used . lies for the liars .

Labels: ,

posted by Ashleigh @ 22:21,

2 Comments:

At 7 March 2008 at 01:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

 
At 10 March 2008 at 16:10, Blogger Danielle said...

Happy Belatd Birthday! My niece celebrated her birthday on the 5th and my mom on the 8th. Since it wasn't quite as you had expected you should definitely go and buy yourself a new book or something exciting anyway!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

random field notes


    ashleigh (ash'lė) n.
    1: egyptologist; currently living in the uk attempting to obtain a phd in egyptology, hoping in the end there will be a job.
    2: literary; reading to escape reality, to improve conversation, for inspiration.
    3: crafter; crocheting and needlework, creating heirlooms, keeping the world warm.
    4: dreamer; head in the clouds, full of fantasies, wishing to be someone else, somewhere else.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from random field notes. Make your own badge here.


:: reading ::
: Ivanhoe . Walter Scott
: Schindler's Ark . Thomas Keneally
: The Amber Spyglass . Philip Pullman
: The Red Queen . Margaret Drabble
: Un Lun Dun . China Miéville
: A Handful of Dust . Evelyn Waugh
: Adjunct: An Undigest . Peter Manson
: A Kestral for a Knave . Barry Hines

:: recently finished ::
: Falling Man . Don DeLillo
: Written on the Body . Jeanette Winterson
: The Bell Jar . Sylvia Plath
: No One Writes to the Colonel . Gabriel García Márquez
: The Subtle Knife . Philip Pullman

:: book rating ::
5 : True Love
4 : Like
3 : Good
2 : Ok
1 : Why did I read this?

:: challenges ::
: 1% Well Read
: 888 Challenge
: Chunkster Challenge
: Decades Challenge 2008
: Novella Challenge
: Once Upon A Time II
: The Parisian Underworld
: The Pub

:: creating ::
: sadly nothing at the moment

:: recent posts ::
: the yacoubian building
: people of the book
: penelope
: we
: wide sargasso sea
: imposture
: on beauty
: weekend reading
: silas marner
: giovanni's room

:: labels ::
: book
: book review
: challenge
: craft
: egypt
: life
: liverpool
: movie
: photos
: quiz/meme
: random
: school
: travel
: weekly geeks

:: archives ::
: 2008
01 :: 02 :: 03 :: 04 :: 05 :: 06

:: blogroll ::

:: bookish
: 1 more chapter
: a high and hidden place
: a striped armchair
: a work in progress
: bookie
: books please
: eloise by the book pile
: estella's revenge
: eve's alexandria
: the hidden side of a leaf
: people reading
: red room library
: stainless steel droppings

:: crafty
: cosmicpluto knits
: crazy aunt purl
: how about orange
: inside a black apple
: ma petite théière
: midnight knitter
: not martha
: posie gets cosy
: ranger sarah
: wild yarn
: yarnstorm

:: special
: idyll thoughts