it's still friday right?

What happened to the weekend? Poof! It's nearly gone! And once again I didn't accomplish everything on my list. I swear I have become the LAZIEST person ever! I never used to be this bad. I just don't want to do anything except for read, sleep, eat and occasionaly blog. I did get a chance to finish Saturday and The Plot Against America before the weekend started and I did get caught up on Les Misérables (pg 960) but I only posted 2 book reviews!

There was a good quote from Les Misérables about laziness that for different reasons scarily resembles my current status. One of the characters, Marius is lovesick and out of sorts.
During all these torments, and for a long time now, he had stopped his work, and nothing is more dangerous than discontinued labor; it is a habit lost. A habit easy to abandon, difficult to resume.

I was busy this weekend doing a favor for a friend, major scanning sessions. I think I clocked about 7 hours so far, still have more to do. I hope this builds karma in case I ever need someone to do the same for me. To help pass the time I started listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which I've read of course but I like all the voices that Jim Dale does. It's been a long time since I've read it and I think my memory was based on the film and boy howdy did they skip over a lot when they made that. Oh well they still did a pretty decent job and I look forward to #6 later this year.

I finally emailed my "supervisors", not sure at the time if that's what they were or not, but I wanted to touch base and see if they've come up with a solution to my dilemma since our last meeting 5 weeks ago. I received an email back apologizing for the delay and saying that everything had been worked out. Well thanks for telling me sooner... Anyway I still need to meet with them to tell that I've decided to return home. I'm so not looking forward to it. I know I could just email them back to tell them but I really think it should be something said in person. Oh my stomach is just in knots about it, I hate confrontation and I hate problems. I prefer to just ignore them in the hopes that they will just go away but of course they never do.

Now I'm nervous about going home, I mean what if I'm not admitted into the program? What if it's a mistake? I know it's the right thing for me to do and all I need to do is remember how unhappy I've been here but it's scary and Liverpool has seduced me. It's also embarassing because a lot of people (friends included) don't understand, they think I'm coming home because I couldn't make it here and that's absolutely not the case. The program here is the wrong fit and there really isn't anyone to supervise me. Sure they've solved it for now but the person they chose goes on sabbatical all of next year so once again I'll be tossed up into the air. And they mentioned shifting people to make room for me and I don't feel right about that. That's not fair to the other student. I tried, they tried, we all tried but it didn't work out. Arizona will take me back, inshallah, it will be hello hard but in the end worth it, right?

On a high note, I've been invited to a masquerade ball on the 24th! I've got a black cocktail dress that hopefully still fits (major treadmill/eliptical sessions in the very near future) and a black shawl and heels. Hopefully I can find some inexpensive black opera gloves and I really would like to buy this mask. It should be a really fun night!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! oxoxoxox

Have a good week!

. listening . bring me up . lisa loeb . cake and pie .

Labels: ,

posted by Ashleigh @ 23:01,

3 Comments:

At 14 April 2008 at 15:56, Blogger Danielle said...

I rarely get anything done over the weekends. Made all the worse this weekend by unexpected (well not completely unexpectd) company. Good luck on figuring out the school thing--I imagine there's not many places to study what you want to study? Ultimately do you want to teach? Do research?

 
At 14 April 2008 at 17:37, Blogger Ashleigh said...

Yeah the school thing has been a pretty big hassle. There are a few schools in the states that offer Egyptology, the top ones being Chicago, Berkeley, Yale, Brown and Penn State. But those as you can image are pretty expensive schools! At least at Arizona, the Anthro program rates #5 in the country, I will be supervised by an Egyptologist thus allowing me to do an Egyptological dissertation and it's affordable because I'm a resident. I suppose the ultimate goal is to get a teach position at a university where I can continue to do research. Nothing much else to do but work in a museum but then I'd probably have to go back to school to get a degree in Museum Studies. I'm a bit annoyed that I won't be finished before 30 as planned but hey 30's the new 20 right? :)

 
At 16 April 2008 at 15:53, Blogger Danielle said...

It is these days. Age is relative, I think. We have a lot of 'older' students at the university where I work. Besides, this is for your PhD, right? Considering you've done field work, it's not surprising that you're not finishing before 30.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

random field notes


    ashleigh (ash'lė) n.
    1: egyptologist; currently living in the uk attempting to obtain a phd in egyptology, hoping in the end there will be a job.
    2: literary; reading to escape reality, to improve conversation, for inspiration.
    3: crafter; crocheting and needlework, creating heirlooms, keeping the world warm.
    4: dreamer; head in the clouds, full of fantasies, wishing to be someone else, somewhere else.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from random field notes. Make your own badge here.


:: reading ::
: Ivanhoe . Walter Scott
: Schindler's Ark . Thomas Keneally
: The Amber Spyglass . Philip Pullman
: The Red Queen . Margaret Drabble
: Un Lun Dun . China Miéville
: A Handful of Dust . Evelyn Waugh
: Adjunct: An Undigest . Peter Manson
: A Kestral for a Knave . Barry Hines

:: recently finished ::
: Falling Man . Don DeLillo
: Written on the Body . Jeanette Winterson
: The Bell Jar . Sylvia Plath
: No One Writes to the Colonel . Gabriel García Márquez
: The Subtle Knife . Philip Pullman

:: book rating ::
5 : True Love
4 : Like
3 : Good
2 : Ok
1 : Why did I read this?

:: challenges ::
: 1% Well Read
: 888 Challenge
: Chunkster Challenge
: Decades Challenge 2008
: Novella Challenge
: Once Upon A Time II
: The Parisian Underworld
: The Pub

:: creating ::
: sadly nothing at the moment

:: recent posts ::
: crash
: a passage to india
: you knew it, i knew it...
: a bookish affair
: after the weekend
: bee season
: early friday book notes
: april fools fun
: the namesake
: maus: a survivor's tale

:: labels ::
: book
: book review
: challenge
: craft
: egypt
: life
: liverpool
: movie
: photos
: quiz/meme
: random
: school
: travel
: weekly geeks

:: archives ::
: 2008
01 :: 02 :: 03 :: 04 :: 05 :: 06

:: blogroll ::

:: bookish
: 1 more chapter
: a high and hidden place
: a striped armchair
: a work in progress
: bookie
: books please
: eloise by the book pile
: estella's revenge
: eve's alexandria
: the hidden side of a leaf
: people reading
: red room library
: stainless steel droppings

:: crafty
: cosmicpluto knits
: crazy aunt purl
: how about orange
: inside a black apple
: ma petite théière
: midnight knitter
: not martha
: posie gets cosy
: ranger sarah
: wild yarn
: yarnstorm

:: special
: idyll thoughts