after the weekend

Returned to the office today and I couldn't help but miss my books but as luck would have it my German reading seminar was cancelled so I got to go home early. I was a little reading machine this weekend: I finished The Voyage Out, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day and The First Century After Beatrice got caught up on Les Misérables (on pg 720) and read 100+ pgs of The Female Quixote which I might be able to finish tonight.

Today was spent researching the PhD in Anthropology at The University of Arizona and making contacts with some of the faculty. I'm getting excited about the program and wish I could jump into it this fall but alas must wait until 2009!! The classes sound great and I really think that the UofA will make me into a great archaeologist, I only hope that I can figure out how to work the Egypt angle since most of the department focuses on the southwest. But I have been told that it would be possible for my Egyptology mentor to act as chair on my dissertation committee. I may decide to do a MA in Classics at the same time... but am not 100% sure on that yet. I know from talking to other PhD students doing Egyptology who were close to or have finished who said that the job market was looking for professors that could also teach from the Classics. I just have to decide if I really want to get involved in intensive Greek and Latin, as I will need to catch up.

Haven't given anyone here my resignation yet, not looking forward to it. I'm going to miss Liverpool!

. listening . lonely people . augustana . all the stars and the boulevards .

Labels: ,

posted by Ashleigh @ 20:10,

2 Comments:

At 9 April 2008 at 04:43, Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Wow, that's some reading! Have you seen the Miss Pettigrew film? My wife and I really enjoyed it.

 
At 9 April 2008 at 07:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, while I'm sad for you that Liverpool isn't working out quite the way you wished it was going to, can I just say that I'm *thrilled* that you'll be close enough to visit again? Not to mention close enough to attend my wedding (because I was seriously going to be sad if you couldn't make it!)?

Regarding the Sony Reader...I like the concept a lot, but the ability to download books regardless of where I am (and therefore not be bereft of something I really want to read just because I'm not near the store or a computer) was too tempting. Plus, most of those "100 free classics" are already available for free all over the internet, and can be transferred to the Kindle via USB at no charge. And then, too, I managed to land a significant pay raise with my new job, and I haven't treated myself to anything. Literally all of my extra money has been going straight into my wedding fund since none of my family is in the best position to pay for a wedding (parents are not financially stable, aunts are both retiring, grandmother is on limited income). The Kindle is, therefore, a gift to myself for all the heartache that came with having to find said new job...and also a gift to Greg who shouldn't have to live in fear that my own, personal stacks will collapse on him in his sleep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

random field notes


    ashleigh (ash'lė) n.
    1: egyptologist; currently living in the uk attempting to obtain a phd in egyptology, hoping in the end there will be a job.
    2: literary; reading to escape reality, to improve conversation, for inspiration.
    3: crafter; crocheting and needlework, creating heirlooms, keeping the world warm.
    4: dreamer; head in the clouds, full of fantasies, wishing to be someone else, somewhere else.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from random field notes. Make your own badge here.


:: reading ::
: Ivanhoe . Walter Scott
: Schindler's Ark . Thomas Keneally
: The Amber Spyglass . Philip Pullman
: The Red Queen . Margaret Drabble
: Un Lun Dun . China Miéville
: A Handful of Dust . Evelyn Waugh
: Adjunct: An Undigest . Peter Manson
: A Kestral for a Knave . Barry Hines

:: recently finished ::
: Falling Man . Don DeLillo
: Written on the Body . Jeanette Winterson
: The Bell Jar . Sylvia Plath
: No One Writes to the Colonel . Gabriel García Márquez
: The Subtle Knife . Philip Pullman

:: book rating ::
5 : True Love
4 : Like
3 : Good
2 : Ok
1 : Why did I read this?

:: challenges ::
: 1% Well Read
: 888 Challenge
: Chunkster Challenge
: Decades Challenge 2008
: Novella Challenge
: Once Upon A Time II
: The Parisian Underworld
: The Pub

:: creating ::
: sadly nothing at the moment

:: recent posts ::
: bee season
: early friday book notes
: april fools fun
: the namesake
: maus: a survivor's tale
: around liverpool
: do you want to play?
: bookish notes
: charmed
: cold comfort farm

:: labels ::
: book
: book review
: challenge
: craft
: egypt
: life
: liverpool
: movie
: photos
: quiz/meme
: random
: school
: travel
: weekly geeks

:: archives ::
: 2008
01 :: 02 :: 03 :: 04 :: 05 :: 06

:: blogroll ::

:: bookish
: 1 more chapter
: a high and hidden place
: a striped armchair
: a work in progress
: bookie
: books please
: eloise by the book pile
: estella's revenge
: eve's alexandria
: the hidden side of a leaf
: people reading
: red room library
: stainless steel droppings

:: crafty
: cosmicpluto knits
: crazy aunt purl
: how about orange
: inside a black apple
: ma petite théière
: midnight knitter
: not martha
: posie gets cosy
: ranger sarah
: wild yarn
: yarnstorm

:: special
: idyll thoughts